This is a flexible recipe that may be adapted depending on taste and specific needs altering nuts
if necessary. Cashews and pine are softer and purée into a very creamy consistency. Almonds
and cashews both have a sweeter taste where macadamia and pine nuts are more savory. Start
this recipe the night before because nuts require overnight soaking.
1 ½ cups raw and unsalted almonds
½ cup unsalted macadamia nuts
½ cup raw and unsalted cashews
½ cup raw and unsalted pine nuts
2 cloves raw garlic (do not use if making a
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast OR 1 teaspoon
gluten-free miso paste (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
Optional, for a creamier ricotta: replace ½
cup water with ½ cup coconut milk yogurt
1. Soak almonds and macadamia nuts overnight (or 6-8 hours) in filtered water. Place in a 4-
cup glass measuring cup (or larger) and fill to the top with water.
2. In a separate container, soak cashews and pine nuts for 1 hour in glass container with hot
filtered water to cover.
3. Drain cashew/pine nuts and grind in a food processor or blender adding enough water for
thick creamy pudding consistency. Remove from container and set aside. (Do not to wash
container before proceeding with other nuts).
4. Drain and rinse almond/macadamia nuts ADD GARLIC and grind in a food processor or
blender adding enough water for thick, slightly chunky pudding consistency (think ricotta).
Start with ¾ cup water and then add 1 tablespoon at a time.
5. Stir in nutritional yeast or miso, lemon juice and salt. “Ricotta Cheese” is ready to use.
Check back for my recipe for Lasagna and South American Lasagna!