Better Than Ever Red Velvet Cupcakes
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, these lovely cup cakes will make your day even more special.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend (add 1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum if gum is not included in gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup raw unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon grain-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup beet puree*
- 3/4 cup sugar, recommend coconut sugar or Sucanet
- 1/2 cup sunflower or other unflavored oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, canned coconut milk or other nondairy substitute
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (may substitute vanilla extract)
- 2 large eggs or egg replacer
- Preheat oven to 350degrees. Prepare cupcake pan: line with paper liners or generously oil.
- Sift or whisk together GF flour blend, xanthan gum if needed, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine beet puree, sugar, oil, coconut milk, vinegar, almond extract and eggs preferably in a stand mixer bowl with the paddle attachment and blend thoroughly, about 1 minute on medium speed. (May use hand held mixer.) Turn to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated; do not over-mix.
- Evenly distribute batter into cupcake pan compartments (an ice cream-type scoop works well); fill about 3/4-full.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of the center cupcake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- *Roast or boil beets until very tender. Puree in food processor or blender until smooth. Three (3) small or 2 medium-sized beets will make 3/4 cup puree. Cook extra beets for additional use to assure that you have 3/4 cup beet puree. Frozen precooked beets are also an option.
Check out my article in the Sandhills Naturally February Publication – I’ve got other beet recipes in this article so check it out!